Amy Marie Wallace
I'm Amy Marie Wallace
Most days you can find me working away in my sewing room (or living room, as my projects often expand and take over the whole apartment). With the Wallace Read brand I am mostly known for creating cruelty free bags and accessories. But I have also been working as a costume designer for theatre, and doing alterations and sewing contracts for other designers. Which has led me to start my youtube channel and tutorials.
I love serving the world through story telling, and creating. Whether that is through costumes or sewing projects or sharing my own tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way. The things that I am most passionate about are spending time with my family, and friends, (I have two amazing nephews) having meaningful conversations over coffee (or wine!) and finding moments to be creative and inventive in daily life.
I work with leather alternatives because I am a vegetarian, so is my husband. We have a meat free home and if I am going to contribute something to this world, and the fashion industry I want to make sure its aligned with my beliefs and this feels right for me. As a consumer I yearned for products that had the simplicity and classic design that you often find in luxury leather products but that were made without animal hide and fully made in Canada. That’s where Wallace Read began, and I’m constantly learning and evolving.
As a Designer, I’ve been involved in a few noteworthy productions. Most recently I was the production designer on a musical adaptation of “Peter Pan” at Soulpepper a co-production with Bad Hats Theatre. (I designed and created the costumes and props). This production was a remount for us and was a winner of three Dora Awards. (They’re like the Canadian version of the Tony’s!) I’ve also done costume design for “Hastings: A new Canadian Musical” being remounted this summer for a tour, with a great company called Tweed and Co. As well as a few other productions over the years.
Tweed and Company Theatre: Hastings The Musical (2017)
Sewing started as a side hustle for me, I am also an Actor and a musician. In between acting contracts I found myself sewing as a way to ground myself and create something more tangible. As I started getting more work doing custom bags, alterations, and costumes I decided to start sharing my work on instagram and started an Etsy shop. Sewing has helped me find a happy balance in the arts, working from contract to contract is a different lifestyle from the the 9-5 for sure! While it’s still very much a work in progress, I'm slowly working my way towards constructing the life that I want with all the work that fulfills me and gives me a sense of purpose.
(That's me in the vest)
If you’re interested in hearing a bit more, here are 5 fun facts about me!
1. My main instrument is the violin, I’ve been playing since I was 5. I’ve recently been teaching myself how to play the Ukulele. (I’m not very good yet, but I'm getting there!)
2. My Mom is a professional seamstress and created custom wedding gowns and formal wear, I learned everything I know from her. (she has since retired, now she makes quilts!)
3. I named Wallace Read after my family name, and my Husband’s family name (Read). My childhood home was always full of creative buzzing activity, and my family (both sides) are my biggest supporters. Now working from my home studio, it felt like a great fit.
4. In one of my recent commercial gigs I play a very indecisive bride for a Nerdwallet Ad, its still on TV and airs a lot on CNN.
5. One of my dream jobs is to be the host of a kids show where I can teach them sewing basics and the importance of taking care of your clothes, and the impact of our consumption on the environment. Kinda like Art Attack (Do you remember Art Attack?) only with sewing in addition to crafting with an environmental twist.
Are you still here? Awesome. Thanks for reading to the end. Let’s connect!
You can join my mailing list and be the first to get updates of new videos coming out on my YouTube channel and latest arrivals on Etsy. Also come hang out with me on Instagram, are you also a creative type? I’d love to see what you are working on, send me a DM. Let’s support each other to get creative and make great things!
Amy Marie Wallace
You can join the mailing list right here!